Saturday, August 15, 2009

Front Row Seat- Sheffield United 2 Watford 0

I guess if you bother to read these ramblings at all its not because you are after an in depth match report. That was never the point of this blog because you can get those here, here and usually here although I can't find their one today. Quite what the point is I'm not sure. I suppose I use it to indulge my anorak side. Also it gives me something to do whilst my kids watch Sonic Underground.

Any-way, even if I did proper match reports I wouldn't have been able to provide you with one from Bramall Lane because I was in the unfortunate position of being in the front row. There are some events where this would be the premium position but at a football match I reckon its the worst place you can be. Behind the drains and pillars at Barnet I still had a better view than I did level with the pitch and behind the goal in Yorkshire.

It did have some benefits. We were able to shout at the players and believe that they could actually hear us. A bloke near me possibly succeeded in putting off Mark Bunn by yelling something about his manhood just as he mis-hit a goalkick. We witnessed Darius and DeMerit engaged in what I guess was sledging all first half. We saw Loach and DeMerit have words at one point. And many hours later I saw myself on The Football League Show as United scored their opening goal. Admittedly I was just a blur in a black shirt but it was sitting where I was, so I guess it was me.

Whilst on the subject of that show am I the only one who hates it? I thought having the League on the BBC would be good, and it definitely is great having highlights on their website, although they seem to take ages to appear. But the FL show seems to be a horrible hybrid of The One Show, Six-O-Six and MOTD. We really don't need a girl (it was never going to be a bloke was it?) reading out the thoughts of the fans, or those slightly condescending quirky reports from grounds where something interesting might happen (Norwich City's visit to Exeter being tonight's one). And will Newcastle always be the first game featured? Can't we just have a longer MOTD? After all Shearer could give his insights into the team he took down.

Back to Bramall Lane, or as the announcer insisted on calling it Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane. This was okay once, and is possibly true when compared to the rest of Sheffield City Centre, but to say it every time you say the name of the ground just sounds stupid. We lined up as we did against Doncaster apart from Ellington who played in place of Don Cowie who was apparently injured. He does seem quite prone doesn't he? Tommy Smith moved back into the midfield.

We seemed to start well but after 12 minutes didn't defend a simple cross and Jamie Ward, who isn't much bigger than your average Smurf, easily knocked the ball past Loach. From then on neither the team or the fans seemed to have any belief at all that we'd get back into the game. In fact our singing was minimal all day, in stark contrast to the Donnie and Barnet games. But this probably shouldn't surprise because this team just doesn't look like it can live with the Sheffield Uniteds of the division even when those rumoured to be out the door before the transfer window closes are included.

Maybe this is almost part of the trouble. Tommy Smith and Jobi McAnuff are both playing like they have other things on their minds. Nathan Ellington, I guess, is only being played in the hope that someone takes him off our hands. I wonder whether MM would be better playing the team we are likely to become, rather than persevering with this one that isn't working anyway. Even if they do suddenly gel, we'll have to start all over again at the beginning of September anyway.

I do think it would be worth taking a punt of JJOT and Will Hoskins. They are both proven goalscorers and always look like they have the desire to play whereas the same couldn't be said for some of those who have started in the team before them so far this season.

It was no surprise in the second half when, after a bundle of bodies had descended on our goal (which was now down the other end to me), three and a half stands went mental signalling a second Blades goal.

Our chances were few and far between and the only one I can remember on target was a limp Graham header towards the end of the game. Malky again seemed late in his substitutions waiting until United started bringing people on before making a change despite us being 2 down. Starvin' Marvin Sordell replaced Nathan despite the whole lower tier of the Bramall Lane stand being desperate for McAnuff to be the one going off. How quick the fans favourite (or least favourite) pecking order can change. Eventually we got our wish when Jon Harley came on five minutes later.

Bizarrely Malky brought Michael Bryan on for Danny Graham with just seconds remaining. Surely we didn't need to be the ones wasting time? But, I guess, by then it was pointless thinking we could get back into a game we'd looked out of since the 12th minute.