Saturday, August 20, 2011

Coventry City 0 Watford 0

For the second time this season I attempted to listen in to the Three Counties commentary via HornetsPlayer.  I do realise I reside within one of the three counties that 3CR is suppose to broadcast to, but you try picking up a half decent FM signal when your house is deep in one of the valleys of High Wycombe.  Therefore, on the rare occasions when I'm not actually at a ground or on kids duty internet commentary is pretty important to me.  Not as important though as for @3Lions4Ever trying to listen in from the US today or @MadridHornet currently residing in Spain.  They aren't able to get in the car, drive for a half a mile and get to hear Luke Ashmead and the brilliantly enlightening Tommy Mooney (another thing he is a legend for) on the car stereo.

Todays attempt to listen was, if anything, more annoying than on the opening day of the season when for the first ten minutes HornetsPlayer listeners got to hear the McDonalds v Huddersfield commentary.   A truly anti-climatic start to the season yes, but it at least it was commentary.  This afternoon I simply couldn't log in.  Every time I entered my user name and password (and I checked I was using the right one several times) I was never allowed to get any further.  The URL changed automatically and seemed to suggest I was being taken to a logging out page.  Great.  I tried emptying my cache, resetting Safari and using Chrome instead.  Nothing worked.  After 15 minutes I gave up and played a game of Happy Families.  But my mind wasn't really on it and I eventually found an excuse to drive up to Flackwell Heath and gradually 3CR emerged from the abyss.

What I heard sounded like the same old same old from the Burnley and Derby games.  Lots of chances, lots of should haves but no actual proper goals.  At least we didn't concede.  Its very frustrating particularly because, again, we sounded like the better side.  There is that depressing thought that in a parallel universe somewhere there is Watford team with 9 points rather than 2, and as Derby are proving, once you start winning its a easy habit to get into however awful you might be.  Maybe in that parallel universe West Ham didn't score after 3 minutes and we went on to sneak a 1-0 win.

Any-way, the point is HornetsPlayer sort it out! Its not difficult to provide internet commentary.  I listen a lot to the WGN commentary on the Chicago Cubs via the MLB website.  In 5 years of doing this I've never had one problem.  They even record the commentary so if you miss the game you can still listen to it as live.

I, and I'm sure a lot of others, don't bother subscribing to HornetsPlayer for anything other than the 3CR commentary.  So if it doesn't work at 3pm or 7.45pm or whenever we are just kicking off there isn't actually a lot of point in subscribing at all.  I'll certainly think twice when its time to renew.

On the pitch we clearly need a new striker along side Marvin.  Sadly Troy Deeney doesn't seem to be the answer anymore than Big Chris.  We also need a big dose of self-belief and some luck.  Lets hope it appears on Tuesday and, crucially, continues into next weekend for the visit of Birmingham City.