Sunday, September 21, 2008

Attendance 46- Fulham Ladies 0 Watford Ladies 0

After doing a bit of research into the Watford ladies team at the beginning of the season I found out that Fulham play their home games at Burnham which is only about 10 minutes away from my house (its a million million miles away from Fulham however).

Last season I criticised the girls (I hate the term ladies, its the term you'd use for a bowls team) for playing their games at the Herts FA ground which is closer to L***n than it is to Vicarage Road. Full marks to them for resolving this by moving to Northwood but I still hadn't gone along to see them so the fact they were playing almost on my doorstep meant I felt obliged to go.

I had expected a small sized turn out equivalent to a Ryman League match. This, after all, is the Premier League and there were bound to be a few interested souls, along with players friends and families (HAB's maybe?). But the fact you took your seat first, and then a bloke came round and sold you a ticket tells you how many were there. My ticket was number 46 and I was one of the last he approached. It cost me £2 plus £1 for a home-made programme.

The whole occasion was rather quaint. A man brought his dog with him (not sure if dogs get a concessionary rate). Half way through the first half the lineswoman loudly enquired if anyone knew the Man Utd Chelsea score. The subs came to talk to people they knew in the stand. There was no swearing.

The football, however, was full on blood and guts stuff. I don't want you to get the wrong impression from the quaint word. They may be ladies but this was no bowling match, with both physios required more times than either from Saturday's debacle.

First half was pretty even, with the 'Orns dominating in the second half but never being able to deal the killer blow. The closest we came was in the last couple of minutes when a promising cross gave one of our strikers a clear shot but she hit it straight at the keeper.

Apologies for not being sure of the names of the players but our No.14, a small blonde winger had a great game and our striker No.15 always looked dangerous. Our experienced looking keeper was outstanding and certainly could be the answer if we are struggling to find a safe pair of hands to sit on the bench for Tuesday night.

I'd thoroughly recommend it from a footballing point of view. Just need a few more to turn up to improve the atmosphere.