Friday, September 05, 2008

International Week

Is there anything more dull than an international week, especially when England are up against the might of Andorra. Once I would've been into it but I think I've now gone beyond the x years of hurt that Baddiel and Skinner sung about (42 since '66 or 34 since I was born). Nowadays I just don't really care much about England. Once (or rather if) we get to a major tournament then I'll watch, but even then its in a Tim Henman-esque way of wondering how far we'll go until we lose, rather than believing we stand even a remote chance of winning.

After a hard week I could really do with going to a game tomorrow. I might go and see the girls play Leeds on Sunday but even this has slightly more limited appeal as I don't know the players so shouting and cheering options are far more limited. Of course, the more I go to see the girls the more I'd know them but even so I'm guessing there isn't on mass chanting like at the Vic.

At least Man City, West Ham and Newcastle have provided interesting side shows this week. Once upon a time we'd have been worried that a bigger fish might come in and pinch Aidy but I don't really have those concerns anymore.