Friday, October 23, 2009

Breathtaking, Outstanding- Watford 4 Sheffield Wednesday 1

These were just some of the comments from Sky's Bill Leslie and Garry Birtles whose company I unfortunately had the pleasure of tonight as the nasty cold that has plagued me for over a week still shows no signs of abating.

I'm no fan of the artistic merit football lover and so when praise for beautiful football is being heaped on my team I find it a difficult compliment to take. But we totally deserved it tonight having put together some fantastic sweeping moves as we attacked the Wednesday goal. The only concern I'd raise is that most of the moves involved either or both of Cleverley and Lansbury and on Sky they did have to keep highlighting the fact that their loans run out at the end of the year. Lansbury, in particular, was immense tonight and thoroughly deserved the man of the match award he got at the end.

One of the reasons I hate watching Watford on telly is that your perception of events is totally different thanks to the endless replays and neutral comments. Had I been to the game I'd probably be blissfully unaware that we were bloody lucky not to have a penalty against us in the first couple of minutes when Mariappa pointlessly handled it or that Cathcart should've been sent off for elbowing.

But one of the plus points is that I was able to appreciate how brilliant Jon Harley's goal was after watching it three extra times on Sky Plus and also how very very very close Lloydy came to scoring tonight. His move into the box was timed to perfection and if only his header had been on target I would probably have heard the celebratory roar here in High Wycombe without the help of the TV.

We are now just three points off the top of the table. Yes, really. Okay so everyone else has to play catch up tomorrow but even so we'll take this Malky. It's going well, its good to watch and its good fun. Just a shame that having played three games in seven days we've now got to wait another eight until we face the Baggies. Bring it on.