Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Incorrect Scoreline- Middlesbrough 0 Watford 1

I can recall many times, when I've tried to keep up with a Watford match that I'm not at, where I think we've scored and start leaping around the room, only then to sickeningly discover that actually we haven't. Sometimes this might be due to my kids distracting me or to whoever I'm relying on to watch it for me getting it wrong. No matter how many times it happens the pain of the incorrect scoreline never gets any easier to bear.

Most memorably, in the days before there was such a thing as the internet I was with a couple of friends and we were watching the score on Ceefax. How sad that now sounds, yet back then it was considered quite normal behaviour. I'm sure that wasn't all we were doing but it was common practise to have the telly on Ceefax during a match so you could keep up to date. Suddenly the page changed and told us Watford were winning 1-0 although both me and the other Watford supporter present said "Who" at the name of the scorer. We discussed how it could be that there was a player we didn't know. Someone on loan, a member of the youth team maybe? The page updated again after about 30 seconds and the score was corrected with us now 1-0 down, hence why we didn't recognise the name. A crushing moment made even worse by the hysterical falling on the floor laughter of the Stoke fan who was also present.

So it was wonderful today that, for once, the boot was on the other foot. I groaned "oh no" as Middlesbrough appeared to score whilst Soccer Saturdays reporter was actually live at the game. The site of the delirious fans behind him and the knowledge that this would give Boro an added impetus to probably get a winner made me feel far iller than the cold I'm currently afflicted with has. But no. What's this? Jeff Stelling is handing back to the bloke at the Riverside and its been disallowed! The score goes back to show us with a one goal advantage and bloody hell we manage to hang on too. Brilliant. Great result. Now lets go and see if we can get Roy Keane the sack on Tuesday night.