Monday, August 13, 2007

Jimmy Davis

The last time we started our home campaign in the League Cup was 2003 after the tragic death of Jimmy Davis on the eve of what was meant to be our first League game against Coventry. I know events since have revealed that poor Jimmy played a large part in his own downfall and so maybe the club don't want to highlight him but I am always surprised that no mention is made of him, especially at the start of the season.

At the beginning of every season now I always think about that sunny day that meant football was back and the excitement of driving to the Vic looking forward to seeing us play a team that we had easily dispatched 5-2 the previous year. I was listening to 5 Live only to hear the very odd news that our game was postponed and then I re-tuned to 3 Counties to hear Simon Oxley eventually reveal the dreadful truth.

In the aftermath it was said that Watford would put some lasting tribute to him but to the best of my knowledge this has never been done. However I still think it should especially given the clubs very active role in community and youth programmes. An anti-drink drive campaign named after Jimmy would have instant credability for those who it was aimed at and be a fitting way to ensure something good came out of that terrible situation.