Sunday, November 30, 2008

Artistic Impression?

Having read the various reviews of yesterdays game I'm feeling quite negative about the new style of play.

Why do we, Watford, famous for our great direct style, want to suddenly become one of the teams that seems to think we should get points for artistic impression?

I've been going through my old programmes recently and came across an article Bobby Robson wrote in an England programme defending his employment of Graham Taylor as England youth manager. The criticism's were two fold. One, Taylor was a club manager already and hadn't got the time. Two, Watford's direct style.

Robson's response was brilliant. He'd counted the efforts on goal Watford had achieved in our last league game. We managed 33. 'Nuff said really.

I suspect a critic of this style is now sitting in the very office where Taylor used to plan the downfall of teams like Sunderland by 8 stonking goals. Those plans would never have included back passing a free kick in the oppositions half.

As in the Vialli days, I fear my faith is going to be tested again.