Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Contenders

I still think John Ward is the most likely candidate given that he''s done okay at most places and has the all important Graham Taylor era link which would probably mean most supporters would welcome him. But if its not Ward who might the other contenders be?

Let start with former 'Orns. Kenny Jackett is the most obvious although I think he’d be mad as Millwall are going so well in a difficult division. Also he was rubbish when he was in charge for a season. Gary Johnson at Bristol City is unlikely given how well he has done there. Luther is forever knocking around not really doing anything. I think he’d be a disaster. Nigel Gibbs is now coaching at Reading, but he didn’t get the job when Graham Simspon interviewed he last time so is unlikely. Andy Hessenthaler I think might be a worth a bet and would be a safe pair of hands. Did quite well at Gillingham. Currently player/manager at Dover Athletic. I think he’d get us out of trouble, without necessarily ever getting us into the playoffs. The fans seem to have a love/hate relationship with him but I think he'd be welcomed. GT himself could come back for a third time, although I think he’s happy on Radio 5 and it could be one time too many, a bit like Howard Kendall at Everton. Lets pray its not John Barnes who is just picking up managerial reins with Jamaica for the first time since leaving Celtic but will be forever haunted by Inverness Caly Thistle.

If its not a Horn then I’ve heard some scary names mentioned. Dowie is available and is probably looking to inflict himself on one more club before all chairman realise he is rubbish. Worse is the Kinnear- Wise combination. Kinnear was born and brought up in Watford and will obviously soon be out of work. Alan Curbishley is a man whose star is fading. Sam Allardyce is unlikely as I think we're too small for what he's got in mind. Ian Holloway is an option and I think he'd fall into the Hessenthaler category of being okay but not great.

Billy Davies might be an option having not managed since being disgracefully sacked by Derby. I’d probably go for him on the basis that he’s the only one I can see having a long term impact that might get us up again. Not that I really want another season in the Prem, but we clearly are desperate for the money. Unless we have another decent punt at promotion we could end up in points deducted administration situation which wouldn’t be fun.

Like last time it doesn't seem like Simpson is in any rush at all. Therefore maybe the money should be on an unknown like Aidy was.