Sunday, October 26, 2008

American Arses- San Diego Chargers 32 New Orleans Saints 37

I know how lucky I was to get this ticket. Half a million applied for some 80,000 available.

I used to go to see the London Monarchs back in the early 90's when they played at the old Wembley. I always enjoyed it and I realise now this was because I always managed to get a seat side on to the action.

Alas, for this point scoring fest I was behind one of the endzones and so realised a big difference between watching our football and theirs. You cannot enjoy a game in nearly the same way unless you are well positioned in the middle of the pitch. With the position of the ball being everything to understanding and enjoying the game you can't see anything if you are constantly looking for it through 11 enormous American arses (or in this case I guess the correct term is asses).

One small benefit was that early on when the Saints kicked a field goal the ball missed the large net which is supposed to catch it and the bloke next to me caught it. He was generous and maybe a foolhardy in that he then passed it round for everyone to see and I am pleased to report he did manage to get it back.

We all spent most of the time watching the game on the not big enough big screen opposite. Why in these days of widescreen tv's do stadiums still have 4:3 screens? At some crucial points people turned round to the big screen behind (which was much closer) and took pictures of the action. I found this very weird. You wouldn't sit in your front room taking a picture of the telly. So if you are at a live event take a picture of the thing happening live rather than on a screen. Weird.

Also the acoustics were rubbish. Again I'm sure it was where I sat but it was impossible to hear what was being said by the officials which is a big part of the game as the sound echoed from every speaker making it inaudible.

The match was a good one. Exciting and on a knife edge until the last minute. Far better than last years clash between the Giants and Dolphins. Just a shame the Chargers didn't manage to make it go into overtime. A bit like Watford yesterday they seemed to play really well when they were behind but never quite got it together to get in a position to win the game.

The cheerleaders performed exactly the same routine they had at Vicarage Road on Tuesday night. But they made up for it by still being just as gorgeous.

The stadium was good, but as an old traditionalist I didn't find it as unique or enticing as the old Wembley. You are much nearer the pitch for sure, but aside from the arch you could be at any big stadium in the world. I wouldn't even say its as good as the Emirates. The seats haven't got that special padded bit and whilst the legroom was good it wasn't as impressive as 'longer than in the old royal box' sounds. Even the toilets of which there are meant to be many many more still had long queues at half time.

The worst aspect of the day was the merchandise. There had been problems last year apparently and I'd read an interview in which it was promised these problems had been ironed out. Yet when I arrived at the stadium an hour and a half before kick off all the merchandise stands I visited had sold out of every article of clothing commemorating the day that might have fitted me.

They still had plenty of gear for those supporting either team, and some stands even had stuff for all 32 NFL teams but this completely missed the point. Almost everyone you saw was wearing stuff from one team or another. We already had the stuff on sale. They wouldn't sell Man Utd or Chelsea shirts at a Man Utd-Chelsea F.A Cup Final. It would be like selling snow to eskimos. But this is what they tried to do on Sunday

What we all wanted (and I spoke to a few people whilst we pointlessly queued up to be told they'd sold out) was a t-shirt, sweater or baseball cap that told the world we'd been to see the International Series game. Next year, if there is a game at Wembley, someone sort this out! We wanted this stuff and would've paid the ridiculous amounts charged. Someone (the NFL I guess) would make a fortune.