Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Catastrophe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7646988.stm

Odd one this. Odd timing, odd story. Is it just Elton mouthing off like he sometimes does about stuff (this was the man who fell out with Princess Diana and the nation of Taiwan).

Graham Simpson reckons the only person at the club Elton speaks to is Aidy. Has it come from him? After all he didn't seem to be quite saying the same things the club were around the time the Watford Obs had us going into administration. Is this his way of trying to alert everyone to what is really going on?

Has Elton got a point? Why do we suddenly seem to have no money? This was all explained after the WO article, although I can't really remember what was said other than less parachute money in second year, ground redevelopment, etc, etc. None of which sound very plausable. I mean, what has happened to the Shittu and Henderson money? £4 million and yet a month later we are funding loans by doing well in the Carling Cup?? We sound like a non-league club on a nice FA Cup run.

Whatever, I don't really see what anyone has gained out of this other than various supporters claiming Elton is only saying what we're all thinking. I'm not sure what I think.

As far as Elton's concerned I do find anything he's got to say or do with the club is a bit tainted now after the whole Vialli catastrophe. Don't get me wrong he is an uber-legend for what he's done. His investment in the club gave me and many thousands of others some of my best footballing memories.

But I can't forget back in 2001 with Gianluca sitting next to him he said he was as excited about the club as he'd ever been. Yet 12 months later he'd quit and we were met by people collecting money in buckets at the turnstiles to try and save the club.

Elton still isn't exactly badly off and if we really are heading for catastrophe he could at least help ensure our survival by dipping into his pocket. I'm not suggesting for a moment I expect him to fund us in the Man City, QPR or Chelsea sense. But I'm sure his bank manager wouldn't even notice him spending modest amounts to keep us from going down the same route as the lot up the road.

But as 6 years ago proved unfortunately Elt doesn't seem to love the club quite as much as he did back in the wild 70's and 80's. He's happy to criticise as he seems to do with all things he likes (George Michael, Madonna) but at least we're in good company.