Sunday, October 19, 2008

Not Caring- Wycombe Wanderers 1 Darlington 1

I wasn't at St.Marys yesterday partly because it's my wifes birthday weekend but partly because my son had tickets for Wycombe v Darlington, which he got through after school football training (we live in Bucks) so I said I'd take him along.

I've been to Adams Park a good few times as shortly after we moved here the whole Vialli debarcle started. There came a time when I decided I'd had enough. As I'd moved to a new area with a new local team, I'd leave Vialli to it and start going to watch the Wycombe.

I went around half a dozen times even watching them play Brentford one very chilly night in the Auto Windscreens Shield (now Johnstone's Paint Trophy) when the crowd numbered barely more than a thousand. But the trouble is, they just weren't Watford. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into supporting a team that wasn't wearing the yellow, red and black.

Maybe its the lack of history. When you've watched a team for a long time you can always refer back to other games, or other seasons where similar things have happened.

Maybe its the players. Even in my most concentrated period trying to follow Wycombe I could never remember the names of more than a few. And they meant nothing to me. Whereas I've always been able to recognise most of the Watford reserves, never mind the first XI.

Maybe its the familiarity. I just don't appreciate Adams Park in the same way that I love Vicarage Road. I know the Vic has a lot of flaws but I don't see them. I even love the old East Stand, in fact, its probably my favourite of the lot. Its sad to see it empty but its still nice to see it at all. Whereas going to Adams Park I can see every flaw. For a start its possibly the only league ground actually in the countryside. Sure its just in High Wycombe, but only in the sense that it is the first or last point you come to before endless fields, hills and woods. During a boring bit of the second half I watched three riders on horseback disappearing off into the distance. Because of its location it is THE coldest ground in the country. Also there is only one road in and out so getting to it and home again is a nightmare. I live 6 miles from Adams Park and about 13 from the Vic. Yet I arrived back home at 5.45pm, exactly the same time I usually get home from Watford.

The mascot is stupid. Whereas Harry is clearly a caricuture of a hornet, Wycombe is a caricuture of, um, a person. Yeah, it works really well. Really cute. Think, kind of Its a Knockout crossed with the Adams Family and you've got the idea.

The queues for the loo and food stalls are long, much longer than ours at half time.

I could go on (and on and on). But basically the 'til I die' chant is spot on. Probably I think its in the genes. Trying to support anyone else just doesn't work and I felt no connection for the Chairboys (stupid nickname) at all yesterday, just as I'd failed to do 7 years ago. In fact, I felt more connection with Darlo having seen them once already this season. Their goalkeeper was still in his endearing illuminous orange outfit. And they battled hard and well taking the lead with a nice move in the first half.

The second half provided entertainment of a different kind when there was a punch up and a Darlo player got sent off. In the fall out of this, for no obvious reason, two Wycombe players squared up one hitting the other. He got sent off too. It was the best bit of the game.

We left early. Something I would never ever do at Watford. I can't even understand how people can do it at the Vic (unless maybe they're fans of other teams supporting the 'Orns for the afternoon). But my son was too cold and was asking to go home and not feeling any connection with the team I agreed. Therefore we missed Wycombe's last equalising penalty but I really didn't care.


The Darlo keeper still hasn't quite got the hang of camouflage.