Wednesday, October 29, 2008

'Arry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7695590.stm

I can see why the Portsmouth fans booed.

"Arry says he couldn't pass up the chance to manage a big club before he retires.

But what is a big club exactly?

Okay I'll admit that in my own perception Spurs are a bigger club than Portsmouth.

But I can't imagine that Harry is going to manage to achieve anymore at White Hart Lane than he already has on the South Coast. I'm sure he isn't naive enough to think he can break into the Top 4.

So what does that leave? The F.A Cup. Unlikely even when the year ends in 1. Apart from this season the last 11 winners have all come from the big four.

The Carling Cup. Possibly, but having just won the FA Cup its not as prestigious for Harry. Spurs are fairly used to winning it and doing so again isn't really improving on anything.

The Premiership. Best either Portsmouth or Spurs can expect is 5th. And with the squad that Harry assembled at Fratton Park I'd expect Defoe, Crouch, Campbell, James and co to achieve it first.

The UEFA Cup. Both are already in the competition so Harry gains nothing by jumping ship and I reckon Portsmouth are far more likely qualifers for next seasons 'new' Europa Cup.

So why go? Especially when you already live in Bournemouth. Makes no sense at all. If he got the job at Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U I could understand it but I think the boo-ers had a point.